Discover the right UPVC door for your property
Doors are one of the most important features on your home. Finding a door that suits your home is important, but also a door that can provide you with a degree of privacy and offer security. It’s vital when replacing a door to choose one that is capable of meeting all your expectations.
Here at Castle Home Improvements we believe UPVC doors are a cost-effective solution. This guide will look at these doors in more detail while also helping you to discover the best UPVC door style for your home.
Benefits of UPVC doors
UPVC doors are made from Unplasticised Polyvinyl Chloride and are incredibly hardwearing. Some of the key benefits noted in UPVC doors include:
- Durability – Unlike wooden alternatives that can warp, rot or become damaged relatively easily, UPVC doors are strong and durable. They can reliably stand up to years of service without changing in any way.
- Energy Efficient – If you’re looking to minimise household bills, look no further than UPVC doors. They are highly insulative, keeping warm air in during the Winter and cool air during the Summer. This makes them a popular choice for homes and working environments too. UPVC doors also minimise draughts due to their perfect fit which won’t alter depending on temperature.
- Fire Safe – UPVC is naturally fire retardant. This means that, in the event of a fire, it will not support or enhance the development of a fire. In comparison to wooden doors, they are self-extinguishing and won’t allow a fire to spread easily.
- Reduce Condensation – Again, due to their perfect fit and exceptional insulation, they help to minimise the build-up of condensation in your home. They prevent water droplets from settling and therefore, reduce the risk of damp damage.
- Cost-Effective – In comparison to some of the most popular alternatives, including aluminium and wood, UPVC doors are an inexpensive option. Combine this with their durability, you’ll have a door that requires minimal repair or replacement over the years.
- Flexible Style – There are a number of UPVC door styles available, so, whether you’ve got a traditional or modern home, you’re sure to find one that suits perfectly.
- Low maintenance – Wooden doors require regular maintenance to ensure they last. Alternatively, UPVC doors are virtually maintenance-free, other than a wipe down to remove dust and dirt regularly.
- Reinforced – Many UPVC doors come with internal galvanised steel reinforcements. This only adds to their longevity, durability and ability to withstand repeated exposure in busy environments.
- Kerb Appeal – UPVC doors are available in a variety of colours and finishes. So, even if you’re looking for a very specific style, chances are you’ll be able to create this perfectly with lower costs and added durability
Types of UPVC Door
One of the best things about UPVC doors is their flexibility. There are many styles available on the market for both internal or external environments. You’ll find them on front entrances, garden entrances and even those leading to conservatories. So, alongside traditional door styles, manufacturers have also created a number of different, very popular options for homeowners.
- Patio doors or Sliding doors – These are constructed from 2 different panels and sit inside a UPVC frame. A sliding pane will move in front of the fixed pane to allow access to a property. This style is perfect for environments with limited floor space as it doesn’t impact on the room when open or closed. Equally, they have a minimal look and allow you to enjoy the beauty of your garden even when the doors are shut.
- French Doors – Similar to sliding doors, this style includes 2 different panes that sit within the UPVC frame. However, these panes swing outwards or inwards, rather than sliding over one another. They also allow a lot of light into your home while also giving easy access and a sleek style that befits most sizes homes – especially those with conservatories.
- Bi-Fold Doors – If you’re lucky enough to have the space and the garden, bi-fold doors at the choice to truly make a statement. They feature a series of glass panels fixed within UPVC frame. These fold back into a concertina, allowing you to truly bring the outside in. And, when folded, they take up very little space while giving a clean and modern look.
- Decorative Glass – Many UPVC doors can also be fitted with decorative glass – think front doors with stain-glass designs built-in.
- Barn-Style – If you’re someone who favours an agricultural, barn-inspired look, UPVC doors also come in a split design. They are double hinged and designed to look like those traditionally found in farmhouses.
UPVC Door Maintenance
No matter what type of UPVC door you choose, it’s important to know how to maintain it. This keeps your door looking it’s best and serving a purpose for many years to come. The brilliance of UPVC ensures that it is very low maintenance so there’s no need to invest hours. There’s no need for repainting or weatherproofing, for example. However, keeping the doors clean and ensuring their working parts are functioning at an optimal level is always important.
- Clean the UPVC frame – A bi-annual job at most, use a paintbrush to remove dust, first or cobwebs and the vacuum to clear everything away. A simple mix of washing up liquid and warm water is all you need to wipe down the surfaces. Avoid harsh chemicals or coloured cloths as these can cause irreparable damage. If you’re dealing with tougher marks, there are PVC cleaners available but be careful to avoid silicone seals.
- Clean the glass – Use a soft cloth to remove fingerprints, drips and marks that dull up window glass.
- Door handles – Every once in a while, spray the handles and key insert with oil to keep it lubricated.
- Locking system – Again, use oil to lubricate the locking system and wipe away excess with kitchen roll.
- Check the hinges – Equally, oil can be used to ensure your hinges are working properly. If needed, you can tighten the hinges to ensure your doors are being held on securely.
Here at Castle Home Improvements, we have been supplying our clients with quality UPVC doors for over 20 years. Get in contact if you’d like more help finding the perfect style for your home.